background image
Home
cycling
Fishing
Contact Us

Hayes Cycles was established in 1911 in the Stonebridge area of South Main Street, where it stands today almost 100 years later. The shop back then, barely a quarter of the size of today's store, was run by its founder Thomas Hayes.


Thomas' three sons, Pat, Ned and Toddy, were all involved in the family business at different stages. However it was Toddy who finally took over the business in the late 1950's. Over the next twenty years cyclists all over the south-east knew Toddy Hayes and Hayes Cycles.

Toddy's nephew Des O'Neill had spent the summer of '69 working for him before entering the Merchant Navy as a radio officer. After sailing many of the world's vast oceans, Des came back to Wexford in 1979 to assist Toddy with a now flourishing business. 1981 saw Des take full ownership of Hayes Cycles, after which he decided to continue trading under that name, in honour of his grandfather and uncles.


In 1984 the shop doubled in size following its first major renovation and in 1992 Des introduced fishing tackle to the shop's stock-list. This move created such an extra workload that Des was forced to make another expansion to the shop in 1999, which is how the shop can be seen today.

After nearly 100 years of trading, Hayes Cycles is a landmark of Wexford's South Main Street, continuing to provide care, quality and committment to our customers at all times.

Hayes Cycles & Fishing Tackle, 108 Sth Main Street, Wexford. Ph (053)-912 2462

Design copyright David Morris 2011